What makes working at Mondelēz International so special? Many things. The iconic brands and global nature of our business. The continuous innovation and endless opportunities to grow. The chance, each and every day, to put a smile on people’s faces. We’re the world’s leading maker of Chocolate, Biscuits, Candy and Gum with billion-dollar brands like Cadbury, Milka, Prince and Oreo and we now have an exciting opportunity to join our team.
Optimizing the way we deliver ingredients, flavour, and texture and well-being credentials is a critical aspect to delighting and bringing joy to our consumers and insuring the growth of our company. This role is part of a global Flavour and Materials Sciences research team within the Global Research and Nutrition Sciences organisation dedicated to establishing fundamental scientific understanding and discovering technologies that will enable breakthrough competitive and sustainable advantage for our categories and overall business.
The team has scientists based in East Hanover, USA, Reading, UK and Singapore. The role will report into the Associate Director Flavour and Materials Sciences team and will collaborate closely with colleagues in the other centralised global research teams (Lipids, Protein, Carbohydrates, Crop Science) as well as category teams (Biscuits, Chocolate, Chewing Gum/Candy, Powdered Beverages and Meals) to define the technical challenges and technical strategy that will deliver technology platforms in area of flavour ingredient research.
The Flavour research group undertakes a wide range of research platforms designed to deliver breakthrough, competitive scientific understanding in areas flavour generation, release, perception and the functionality and application of flavours and flavour ingredients across our product portfolio.
The holder will be the Global Technical Expert for Flavour Ingredients tasked with setting strategy for the business and leading the execution of technical platforms to understand the full range of flavour ingredients, their interactions and how to manipulate/improve their functionality to enable discovery of technologies and applications that can be reproduced and protected across a number of categories. The role will support the technical development of junior colleagues as well as develop and lead external collaborations with academia and the flavour industry.
This role will satisfy a wide range of research interests in the area of flavour ingredients, spanning multiple categories and food types, from polymeric gum bases to candies, biscuits, beverages and chocolate. In each case, the scope could vary from expert consultancy to leader of multi-million dollar new-to-the-world technology development:
- Understand the full range of flavouring ingredient properties and interactions to manipulate/improve functionality in such a way that the growth strategy of Mondelēz International will be fulfilled and breakthroughs may be reproduced and protected
- Use technical expertise to identify, develop and create new business opportunities. Identify, define and solve complex business problems by applying broad technical knowledge as well as in-depth knowledge of technical specialty.
- Act as a leader on complex projects and/or scientific activities by organizing, executing, and interpreting assignments that yield outstanding results and impact business goals.
- Be capable of creating commercially successful flavours over the full range of sweet, brown and savoury profiles.
- Understand the significant influences of ingredients, processing and storage across the major consumer food products.
- Understand the main variations in consumer tastes in different global regions.
- Be aware of the relative competencies of current and potential flavour suppliers
- Use technical expertise to identify, define strategic supplier relationships and procurement strategies
- Maintain current knowledge of developments inside and outside the company that are pertinent to the job and activity efforts through continuous education and training.
- Lead several projects or multiple project tracks with applications to multiple categories, globally. Projects focus on Mondelēz International priorities typically delivering significant savings/additional revenue and involve leading cross functional teams or supporting ambitious growth plans in developing markets. Contribute the assessment of project value.
- Mentor and guide the work planning of junior team members and supervise the technical execution and quality of their day-to-day work.
- Take new research ideas and research findings and communicate and ‘sell’ them to the organization for growth, quality or margin improvement.
- Update and communicate progress and results to platform manager or other relevant stakeholders, effectively structuring and presenting status updates / proposals to influence partners or share with higher management.
- Operate with a high degree of technical independence, working with limited management direction.
- Build and manage internal relationships with peers and other technical specialists in R&D.
- Deliver results and interpretation, draw conclusions with business relevant recommendations at review meetings, write technical memos, author technical reports and IDFs (where necessary).
- Maintain and create an external network with relevant suppliers and academics. Represent company in external organizations.
- Closely monitor scientific developments within the field of expertise through e.g. involvement in external scientific institutions, government bodies & industry relevant committees.
- Work to the highest standards of safety and quality by ensuring that appropriate COSHH, risk assessments and SOPs are read before starting work. Ensure training records and other required documents are accurate. Help maintain a clean, tidy and safe working environment.
- Know the legal and compliance responsibilities of the position; raise questions and concerns when faced with, or you learn of, an ethical or compliance issue; apply integrity in all aspects of professional conduct. Attend BEMA meetings and keep ahead of current and probable future changes in regulations.
- Educated to Degree level in a relevant scientific discipline or relevant experience
- Qualified to at least Senior Flavourist level.
- Extensive independent flavour creation experience.
- Demonstrated commercial success across a range of flavour profiles and end food categories.
- Proven ability to lead projects.
- English (Written and spoken)
- PhD (chemistry, physics, physical chemistry, food chemistry or polymer chemistry, materials science)
- Extensive experience in consumer food products development.
- Previous experience in a FMCG environment.
- Practical research experience in industry.
We pride ourselves on having a high performing and collaborative culture where we offer support and development to enhance your career and develop your knowledge and skills.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package within a highly successful International business that offers financial rewards and resources, including bonus scheme, contributory pension, life assurance, generous holiday allowance and a flexible benefits programme.
RSSL website: https://www.rssl.com/
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RSSLServices
LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/107107
Salary and Benefits: Competitive
Closing date: 14/02/2018